Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Lions and Tigers and Bears and

MOSQUITOS.


Okay, no lions, tigers or bears, but we encountered mosquitos that were, I KID YOU NOT, the size of a hummingbird. Ask any of my readers from East Texas. It is TRUE.

My in-laws have a small pond on their property, but with the drought they've had, it has been dry for some time. So, there are trees and all sorts of stuff growing in it. Well, until the hurricane hit and dropped all that rain on them. Now, there's water in the pond, but the plants are still there, making the most EXCELLENT mosquito breeding-ground ever.

It doesn't matter what kind of pesticide you douse your body in, those babies are coming after YOU. That being said, though, Scott has a small pearl of wisdom that he swears by in the battle of the skeeters...B(1) vitamin.

Apparently, if you take a B(1) vitamin, your "scent" that you emit from it is a deterrant for mosquitos! Of course, that means you have to sweat profusely, and I do not do sweat very well.

Those mosquitos were enough to bring on nightmares. We're talking horror-film mosquitos, folks!

I personally bathe in Off! just to be safe.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 7:28 AM, October 01, 2008, Blogger Katz said...

Not move to Texas... check!

I don't do mosquitoes.

 
At 9:53 AM, October 01, 2008, Blogger Abby said...

B1 vitamin? Never heard that particular remedy.

My husband has a mosquito deterrent too. He stays near me because mosquitos, for some reason, favor ME over him in a side-by-side comparison! But then, we don't have horror film sized ones either. Run. Hide.

 
At 11:12 AM, October 01, 2008, Blogger Whimsical Ranter said...

I got all itchy feeling just reading this! I would bathe in OFF too.

Prehistoric sized mosquitos? We should blame McDonalds for super sizing them.

How long will they stick around for?

 
At 1:38 PM, October 01, 2008, Blogger Suzanne said...

I know these mosquitos of which you speak. I encountered them once in Alabama in a coastal town called Fairhope. They were like something out of a Stephen King novel, and every exposed piece of my flesh looked like it had developed Elephant Man-like tumors from the bites. I still have nightmares...

 
At 2:30 PM, October 01, 2008, Blogger Antoinette13 said...

Wow. I'm glad I've never has to deal with mosquitos like that!

 
At 9:54 PM, October 01, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We buy Ultrathon. It's like, 150,000 % deet. Works like a charm.

 
At 10:16 AM, October 02, 2008, Blogger Violt said...

I know these mosquitos you speak of...they also reside in the deep woods and swampy areas here in the Northwest!

Pass the Deet, wouldya?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home